Alot has happened since my last post. I've flipped both hulls using a chain hoist and the doorway to my shop. This took quite a bit of planning to do safely solo and in the end it worked out that I had someone their to help me balance her as I rotated her onto the dollies we built for this project. I've added the canvas walls to my carport addition to help cut down on wind and rain being blown in on the exposed hulls. Finally with the help of a good friend Charles Price and his power planer I was able to cut through the layers of fiberglass and reach the bare wood in a day. I was pleased to find that the wood was in great shape with very few and minor spots of rot. For the most part is was dry and I don't think I'll have to wait long to be able to re-glass them.
It was really interesting to strip away layer after layer of fiberglass and discover so much of elements past. Small dings and repairs hidden by the bottom paint and I'll be adding mine to them. In doing this I really began to realize what 20+ years meant for this boat. I feel proud to be apart of her history. Her over all quality and strength inspire me to do the best work that I can. I hope that with this repair she'll continue on for another 20 years.
In her down time she'll also be getting some new paint. I've done quite a bit of research on paints including some side by side comparisons found in Practical Sailor. It was a difficult decision based on how the flexibility and durability of the paint would stand up to the flexible fiberglass over wood Tiki construction. In the end I felt that with the ease of application, cheaper cost, and not as hard finish of the single part poly paints was the way to go. I'm hoping that they will be able to bend with the boat so to speak. I've bought the two topside paints I decided to use the same Interlux Brightsides Ocean Blue for the topsides and to change the deck paint from the current rustolium Sand Tone to Interlux's Hatteras Off White also from the Brightsides line.
Looks like I have quite a bit of work to do before the Spring Wharram Meet this year so I'd better get back to it.
Here are some pics of the progress... Enjoy!